Friday, November 13, 2009

Week 3, November 14, 2009: Comrades for Connect Africa


On May 30, 2010, I am going to try to run the Comrades Marathon in South Africa. I say "try" because I've never run 56 miles at once and right now that seems like a really dumb distance to run. The race will start in Pietermaritzburg and ends in the coastal city of Durban. Besides being the world's oldest and largest Ultra Marathon, the race has some pretty cool history and quirks so if anyone wants to read more about it, please check out the really interesting article published a couple of years ago in Runner's World or visit the race's website.

After I finish the race, my plan is to go to Kampala, Uganda to visit the "Connect Africa Foundation" which is a non-profit that a family friend started in 2005 which provides assistance to caregivers and orphans in Uganda. The work they are doing is amazing and can be viewed at their website.

What Can I Do?

My hope is to raise funds for this foundation through my running the Comrades. If you would like to support this effort please feel free to donate directly on their site or by clicking on the "Donate" button below and I will make sure the donations get there. Much love for the support.

~Bryan

PS After Uganda, I'll be back in South Africa for the World Cup if any of you want to join us out there.






No comments:

Post a Comment